Saturday, August 1, 2015

Appropriate speaker cables for my DIY LS 3/5A with DIY AB1

Not sure if anyone else has similar experience with their LS 3/5A with AB1.

The combination was pleasing to the ears and even a musician friend was complementary of the presentation. However I felt the presentation could be further improved, especially if the HF was to be as fluid as that of horn or horn-loaded-tweeter.

Tried using the original QED and vintage Canare cabling but to no avail. Hence I search the market for used Van Der Hul MCD-352, as I had previously heard it on a friends' Celestion SL6 driven by a Plinius set. After some time, I did manage to acquire the VDH and it did provide improvements.Unfortunately the improvements were not to my expectations.

I then installed my original QED Silver Anniversary (not the XT) for comparison, since both are silver-type speaker cables. 

Viola!!! Everything fell into place when driven by one of my Quad FM3-33-303 sets. Yes, should have trial the QED Silver Anniversary 1st before searching for the VDH.

Another case of the solution being closer to home than one might think!



No comments:

Post a Comment